June 28, 2012

Butterfly Graduation Leis


Hey All... 

My gf's daughter in LV graduated, and she asked me to make a bunch of money lei's for her DD and some of her DD's friends.  We were both together at the craft store while she was visiting from LV.  She saw a particular type of lei that she wanted to make, and I CASED it.  Thank God, because I wouldn't have a clue as to how to make it look all purdy.  Glad that there were butterflies on the sample, because I just loves me my butterflies. 

How I made this lei:  The base of the lei is the White Satin Ribbon, the length of it was about 1-1/2 yards.  We measured by putting 1 sash around my neck and seeing how far down the lei would go.  We cut to about my hips.  The width of this ribbon is 1-1/2".  The second ribbon, the light blue is an organdy type ribbon.  Same length, width is a slightly smaller.  I glued these 2 together, using Fabric Glue, and random sections of the ribbon.  I then fan-folded $1 bills.  Usually a full fan-folded flower would consists of 2 $1 bills but my gf only wanted $1.  So I had to get creative, and thought that by adding a ribbon to the middle of each dollar, then it will look fuller.  And it worked!  I made the ribbon out of 3/4" light blue satin ribbon. 

Made the ribbon with 2 loops, then holding it together with gold cord.  I then tied each ribbon around the fan-folded $1. (See close up photo here).  I made my gf's DD's lei slightly different than the others.  The butterflies were bigger, and the ribbon on the fan-fold dollar had notches. I thought that it would make her DD feel that her lei was specially made just for her.  :)  I then punched 2 holes using the 1/6" punch (folding the sash in half) as to where I wanted each fan-folded $1 to go.  I used Fabric Glue to adhere the butterflies to the sash.  Then punched 2 holes using the 1/6" punch (folding the sash in half) as to where I wanted each fan-folded $1 to go. After finishing the leis, I had to get them to LV.  Thanking the Lord that they all fit in 1 Medium Flat Rate box and they arrived there 1 day before graduation.  Phew!!! 




 Here is a photo of me wearing one of the finished leis.  I just wanted to make sure that the length and the positions of the $1's and butterflies were all in the right places.  OH!!!  At the end of each lei, I made bows with White Organdy ribbon and the same Light Blue Satin ribbon that I used on the $1's.  I used my Mini Bowdabra to make each bow.  I loved making them, as they each turned out sooooo pretty!!! 


My boys and I have been keeping busy this Summer.  It had been a beautiful sunny summer so far, with quite a bit of WIND!!  I haven't been able to fully enjoy the pool, because it has been so windy.  But I have been bringing some of my fun things to keep me busy. 

Well, that is it for now... I hope you are having a a blessed day wherever U are!!!

Aloha, Jen




“This is what the Lord says:  ‘Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in this I delight.”  (Jeremiah 9:23-24)