June 18, 2010

A Tutorial on the Leis Created For Cy's Graduation

Hello... Ok, here are the leis I created for Cy and his classmates for their Kindergarten Graduation.... I put together a little tutorial on how I did it, with the help of my niece, Kelsea...

First, I purchased plastic casings @ WalMart, these were made by Island Heritage, as you can see they have a website (noted on the plastic), so you could probably purchase the plastic casings from their website. Not sure tho'....
When out of the package, here is what the plastic casing looks like. Flat n' long:

So now I fille the casing with candies... I choose to use chocolate type candies, because I don't like the gummie ones, because they stick to teeth, and I just got this thing about those gummies sticking to teeth. Ugh! Do you know that I don't even allow my kids to chew gum until they are 10? Ya, now that my oldest can chew gum, he doesn't really want to. But the youngest will see, and I have to tell him - "NOPE - NO CAN DO!!!". Anyways, I only fill the candies like about 2-3 at a time, depending on how big the candy is. Like this....

Paper Flowers are dividing the candies from being a "glob" of candy lei. I cut the flowers on my the Cricut X, and got them from the Sweet Treats cart. I also made sure that the flowers cut with a 0.5" circle in the middle, large enough so that I could "string" the plastic casing through. Here is my adorable niece using the spatula to remove the cut flowers. She had so much fun helping out with the Cricut X. Look at her big-O smile on her pretty lil' face!!


Here is a pic of the flowers before I stringed them....

You will be alternating between the flowers, and candies, and continuing doing so until you have a good enough length for a lei. Complete it by tying the ends with the ribbons provided. I put at least 12 parts of candies. Here is a close up pic of a bunch of the leis...



Now make sure it fits on somebody... I used my niece. =0}

Here is a pic of all 20 leis... I made also for his teacher, and some of the school's staff.

I also added name tags for each student, so that I can keep track of who I give out to, and so that they can re-use the tag again. Images are from Nancy Kubo Designs....



Here is a pic of Cy and ALL the leis he got on the day of graduation...he is accompanied by his 2 cousins (Kelsea's brothers), Joshua n' Bronson.

Thanks for peeking in! Have a Blessed Aloha Friday wherever you're at! Oh, and I updated my "Hawaii Photos By Jen" blog, so check it out when you get a chance. I hope I can keep up that blog with pics to share... the pics I posted is of my recent visit to the newest Yogurt shop in my area - called "Cherry On Top".