June 12, 2008

A Tutorial: Gate Folded Card & a special shout out....

Hello My Dear Friends...

CY4 started Summer School today, so for the last couple days, we were busy doing fun kid stuffs. We signed up with the "YMCA" and became family members. SO COOL!!! We can use their exercise equipment and pool, as well as attend any classes that they offer all inclusive in our membership fees. The best thing about it is that their pool is heated (at least the one we're going to), but we are open to go to any of the "Y's" island wide. So, for today's Hawaii photo, I am sharing with you a photo of the "Y", which was formerly the Waipahu Sugar Mill. Some of you former Hawaii residents are probably "wowing" right now... because we all know how long that Sugar Mill has been in existence. But they did a great job renovating the place, and making it look brand spanking NEW. It's is beautiful, but going into the building - I can't help but think that it might be haunted...ooooooo....

Ok - on to my Gate Fold Card Tutorial. One of my readers - Mary Bennett had posted a comment after I posted a gate folded card, which was a RAK sent in by my friend Cathy Young. Mary wanted me to do a tutorial. So of course... why not, right?!?!?! FYI - the idea behind this gate folded card belongs to it's rightful owner, of whom which I don't know is. LOL! But hats off to you - whomevah you are. Thanks for letting me tell it like it is in my own way. Here we go....

Supplies:
  • Card stock Base: 5-1/2 x 10
  • Card stock 1st layers: A&B Panels: 2-5/16" x 2-6/16"; C Panel: 4-3/4" x 5-1/4"
  • DS Paper for 2nd layers: A&B Panels: 2-1/4" x 5-1/4"; C Panel: 4-1/2" x 5"
  • Stamp Image of you choice (I used Rachel Ann Miller's 1st Love clear stamp)
  • Layer for your stamped image
  • Embellishments of your choice (I used gems from Walmart)
  • In this tutorial, I also used the SU! tag punch to make the "stopper" for this card.
  • Adhesive of your choice (I used my ATG tape gun) but mono adhesive will work fine
  • Color medium of your choice - I used my copic markers
Let's begin.... take the card stock that is 5-1/2" x 10" and score at 2-1/2" and 7-1/2" (you could really make any sized card that you want - just need to figure out what is half of the half of a card, and score at that instead. Anyways - I have marked the scored areas with a white line. Now, you have 3 panels. A, B, & C - like shown here:

A&B are your "gates", C would be the mid panel that your "gates" would open up to.

Here I am showing the card stock and the DS paper that I've cut for each panel. Refer to the measurements in my above supply list for this section. The 4 shorter cuts are for panels A&B, and the big wide cut is for panel C (this is kinda covered, so you can't really tell how big that card stock is - but you'll know what I mean within the next few steps. Adhere these card stocks and DS paper to each appropriate panel.


Stamp and color an image of your choice. Cut a layer 1/4" bigger than the layer of your stamped image. This was a perfect opportunity for me to get this stamp wet.

Now, apply adhesive to the back of your imaged layer, but only half of it. In this case, I am applying to the half of the image right behind of where Lily n' Milo's heads are.


Flip over, and adhere 1/2 of your image to panel A. I am making my gate folded card to open up n' down ways.... so the image will go up when I'm opening. As shown here:



Now I need a "stopper" so that my card doesn't open unwillingly. Here I am using SU!'s tag punch, which I first punch on a white card stock, I then take a Pink card stock and layer, and use my scissors to cut around the tag, creating a layer, and then doing the same with a Green card stock. I then flip over, and am applying pop-up or double stick foam tape to the bottom diagonal half of the tag (here I am using Dimensionals). This is because the top part of the tag is where my panel A will be going behind to be held closed.


Now flip over, and stick the tag on. I applied the double stick tape diagonally because I am tilting the tag at an angle. Sentiment is from TAC - I colored the edge of the white card stock by applying ink directly from the ink pad.

Embellish if you wish... I've added these jewels to panel A...

Now, here is the finished card. The gates open up and down wards - if it was turned 90 degrees, then the panels would open to the left and right. Ribbons are of SU!


All Pau!!!!

Ok, before I go... I wanted to do a special shout out to a new found friend of mines.... if you have notice that I no longer open with a "hello ladies" greeting, thats because I have a new "guy" friend out there. His name is Curt of Curt's World, and he fabulously creates cards, and is also a daddy to 2 giant schnauzers. You have got to check out his creations, because they are GORGEOUS!!! So stop on by, and say "WASSUP" to Curt, and let him know how beautiful his creations are. I am matched up with Curt for my JT RAK of this month... so I can't wait to hear what he thinks of the RAK that I am sending him. Big Hugs your way, Curt!!!

Thanks for popping in today.... I am in the middle of creating projects for my weekend of classes - which begins on the 20th and ends on the 22nd. So, on top of that - I try to create for my blog. Of course, gotta do the home stuffs, and that can't be left behind, right?!?! I hope you are all having a pleasant evening....

Toodaloo!!!!